With this project, you will be asked to read and study a chapter from a textbook. This project focuses on textbook reading. Most college courses require students to read textbooks. The purpose of this project is to give you practice with this type of reading. This project will help you stay focused on the reading material, determine what is the most important information, and remember what you have read.
You will be asked to complete a textbook reading process assignment using a chapter from a textbook. Then, you will be asked to create a PowerPoint presentation that teaches your classmates about the chapter. Your presentation should include an outline or graphic organizer of the chapter, a list of five to ten key terms, a summary of the chapter, and a 5- to 10-question quiz.
Select one of the chapters listed below:
- A chapter from the online textbook Integrated Reading and Writing Level 2
- Chapter 1 of Psychology from OpenStax
- Chapter 1 of Sociology from OpenStax
If you would like to choose a chapter from an alternate textbook, you will need to get your instructor’s approval. Please send an email to your instructor if you would like to use a different textbook chapter. Your email should contain scans or pictures of the textbook chapter you would like to use. (If you select one of the choices above, you do not need to send an email to your instructor.)
While completing this project, save all related work and files in a folder for this project because you will be asked to turn in all of your work.
To get started, read the following chapters in the online book Integrated Reading and Writing Level 2. When you begin this project, you will be asked to follow the reading process that is described in these chapters:
Review the following chapters to assist you with this project:
- The chapter on Getting Started with Texts
- The chapter on Using Pre-reading Strategies
- The chapter on Using Active Reading Strategies
- The chapter on Purpose, Audience, and Tone
- The chapter on the Writing Process
- The chapter on Paragraphs and Paragraph Structure
Deliverables (to include in your project submitted to your instructor)
These can be saved in separate files, but they must be clearly labeled:
- Complete and turn in the textbook reading assignment. Follow the Textbook Reading Assignment PowerPoint to help you complete this assignment.
- Create an outline or graphic organizer of the key concepts presented in the chapter.
- Create a list of five to ten key terms. Provide the definitions of these terms.
- Write a formal summary of the chapter in your own words intended for your classmates and instructor, using formal English and well-developed sentences. Length will vary, but you must have at least 2 to 3 paragraphs and must include an explanation of all the key concepts and terminology you included in the outline of the chapter.
- Create a 5- to 10-item quiz. Consult the quiz handout for details.
- Use your outline or graphic organizer, list of key terms, summary, and quiz to develop a PowerPoint presentation that teaches your classmates about the chapter you have read.
Optional: You may work with a partner on this project and turn in the work that you create collaboratively. It is up to you to reach out to peers and find a partner. If you work together, the two of you will be turning in the same project.
This project was created by Judith Tomasson and Pam Herrington Moriarty.